OLD MISSION SAN JUAN BAUTISTA
It is with great joy that we anticipate the baptism of your child into the Catholic faith.
Due to the sanctity of the Sacrament of Baptism and assuming that the child will be raised in the practice of the Catholic faith, preparation is required for all baptisms.
Please read the following guidelines and requirements. It is our intention to make this a joyous and wonderful celebration for you, your child and your family.
Mission San Juan Bautista requires that if you are from another Catholic Community, your parish priest should travel to the Mission to celebrate your child's baptism. Due to the volume of requests for baptisms, the pastor of the Mission is only available for Mission San Juan Bautista parishioners. We thank you for your understanding.
The baptism will be scheduled following the completion of pre-baptism instruction and receipt of all documentation.
Please contact the Parish Office at 831-623-2127 if you have questions.
REQUIREMENTS FOR BAPTIZING AT OLD MISSION SAN JUAN BAUTISTA
FOR PARENTS - MISSION SAN JUAN BAUTISTA REQUIRES:
- If not members of this parish, a letter from your pastor stating that you are in good standing with the church, that the pastor gives permission for your child to be baptized in another parish, and that he agrees to travel to Mission San Juan Bautista to celebrate the baptism.
- Attendance at a pre-baptism instruction class. (Attendance within 24 months with a certificate of completion will be acceptable.)
- Completed Baptism Inquiry Form - English or Spanish
- A copy of the child's birth certificate.
- $40 donation.
- Parents are to select one or two Catholics in good standing with the Catholic Church to serve as the child's Godparent(s). Only a Catholic person can be a Godparent sponsoring a child into the Catholic Church. A Godparent must meet the following criteria (per Canon Law):
- Must be over the age of 16;
- Must be a confirmed Catholic;
- In good standing with the Catholic Church;
- If married, must be married through the Catholic Church;
- If the parents cannot designate more than one Catholic for this important role, then one non-Catholic who is baptized and belongs to a non-Catholic Christian denomination can be a "Christian Witness". If there will be a Christian Witness, there must also be a qualified Catholic Godparent. Christian Witnesses need to provide proof of baptism, a letter from their pastor stating that they are in good standing in their church, and must attend the Catholic pre-baptism class.
FOR ALL GODPARENTS, we need -
- A letter from your pastor stating that you are in good standing with the Catholic Church.
- A certificate or letter stating that you have attended the pre-baptism class. (May attend with the parents in their parish.)
- Christian Witnesses need to provide the following:
- Proof of Baptism;
- A letter from your pastor stating that you are in good standing in your church;
- Proof of pre-baptism class attendance at a Catholic Church.
Pre-Baptism classes are held on
the second Saturday (9 am) of the month in English
the second Tuesday (6 pm) of the month in Spanish
by appointment only. Please call the Parish Office (831) 623-2127 to register for a pre-baptism class. Thank you.
Baptism Inquiry Form (.pdf)
will need "Acrobat
Reader" to view the baptism information.
Click on the icon below to get a free copy: